Additional measures to strengthen the double strategy to fight the Corona virus' resurgence
The National Security Council, extended to include the ministers-president, met today in view of the evolution of the epidemiological situation, which is permanently monitored.
Based on the new health information, a new report was requested from Celeval last weekend.
On the basis of this report, it was decided to strengthen the double strategy - national and local - introduced last week to tackle the resurgence of the virus.
To this end, it is decided that the following measures shall apply from Wednesday 29 July and for at least four weeks (until the end of August):
- Until now, the social bubble for each individual was limited to 15 people per week. As of Wednesday, the bubble will consist of the same 5 people for the next four weeks and for an entire family, so no longer per individual. Children under the age of twelve are not included in this count. These 5 people are individuals you are allowed to have close contacts with, in addition to the members of your household. In other words, they are contacts with whom social distancing does not always have to be respected.
- Non-facilitated get-togethers such as gatherings of family or friends are limited to a maximum of 10 people (excluding children under the age of 12). This limit also applies to receptions and banquets.
- Regarding events that are supervised and follow standard protocols, mayors are responsible for a meticulous re-assessment of the activities they organise or have already authorised on their territory, taking into account the epidemiological evolution. In any case, events with a large audience will be strictly limited to a maximum of 100 people indoors and 200 people outdoors and wearing a face mask will be mandatory. Such events are also only allowed if the safety regulations and protocols are strictly adhered to.
- Working from home is strongly recommended where possible in order to avoid too much contact between colleagues.
- The rules that previously applied in shops, i.e. doing your shopping alone (or accompanied by a minor living under the same roof or a person in need of help) for a maximum of 30 minutes (except by appointment), are reinstated.
- To avoid crowing throughout the country, the measure to grant citizens free train tickets has been postponed until September.
- Contact tracing will be reinforced in certain specific situations where the epidemiological risk is higher because of individuals being "active", i.e. mobile or exercising. Contact details are also requested at these locations, such as in wellness centres and at sports lessons. A full list of the locations concerned will be published in the Ministerial Order. They will be subject to the same obligations as the hospitality industry.
The National Security Council urges local authorities to take strong measures if the epidemiological situation on their territory deteriorates. They will receive epidemiological data from the regional authorities and will have scope to intervene if the situation so requires.